The 20th international nondestructive testing and evaluation of wood symposium
|Date:||Start in 13 Sep 2017
End in 16 Sep 2017
|Location:||Wisconsin United States|
The 20th International Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation of Wood Symposium
The 20th International Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation of Wood Symposiumwill be held in Madison, Wisconsin, USA, September 12–15, 2017. This symposium will be hosted by the USDA Forest Service Forest Products Laboratory (FPL) and is co-sponsored by the Forest Products Society (FPS) and the International Union of Forestry Research Organizations (IUFRO). The conference will be held at the Forest Products Laboratory, which is situated on the campus of the University of Wisconsin–Madison.
Washington State University and the Forest Products Laboratory initiated the International Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation of Wood Symposium Series over 50 years ago. The first symposium was held at FPL in the fall of 1963. At that meeting, nearly 100 scientists, engineers, and industry leaders discussed the possibilities of a wide range of scientific means for testing wood nondestructively. Nineteen symposia have been held to date at sites in Brazil, China, Germany, Hungary, Switzerland, and the United States.
This Symposium is a forum for those involved in nondestructive testing and evaluation of wood, wood-based products, and structures. It will bring together the international nondestructive testing and evaluation research community, users of various nondestructive testing technologies, equipment development and manufacturing professionals, representatives from various government agencies, and other groups to share research findings and new nondestructive testing products and technologies. Networking among participants will foster new collaborative efforts, with an emphasis on implementation of nondestructive testing technologies around the globe.
Call for Papers: Open September 1, 2016
Registration Begins: April 1, 2017
Symposium Dates: September 12–15, 2017
Call for papers
The Symposium will include oral and poster presentations from scientists and engineers, and exhibits from equipment development and manufacturing firms. The Symposium organizing committee invites papers, posters, and equipment demonstrations (exhibits) from interested individuals and organizations.
- Nondestructive characterization of wood and wood-based materials
- Evaluation of forest materials for optimal utilization
- Advanced grading technologies for solid wood and engineered wood products
- Condition assessment, evaluation, and repair of existing wood structures
- Condition assessment of historic wood artifacts and structures
- Evaluation and assessment of urban trees
- Industrial application of emerging nondestructive testing technologies
- Other nondestructive evaluation related research and development activities
Abstract Submission: February 15, 2017
Notification of Acceptance: March 15, 2017
Paper Submission: August 1, 2017
Registration: August 31, 2017
The proceedings will be published in an electronic format by the USDA Forest Products Laboratory. It will contain papers from authors giving oral presentations and abstracts from authors presenting technical posters.
Display tables will be available for equipment developers, manufacturers, consultants, and others who would like to demonstrate their technologies and equipment. A nominal fee of $250 for display space is required. Proceeds will be used for the welcome reception at the BEST WESTERN PLUS InnTowner and The Highland Club. For more information on display space, please contact Dr. Xiping Wang (email@example.com).
- Tuesday, September 12, 2017: Registration begins. Come and relax, and reacquaint with friends and colleagues at a welcome reception at the Best Western Plus InnTowner.
- Wednesday, September 13, 2017: Opening of the Symposium, Official Welcome to Participants. The opening of the symposium will be held at FPL. Following introductory comments from members of the International Organizing Committee, a Plenary Session featuring presentations on the use and importance of nondestructive testing and evaluation to the wood industry and the public will complete the morning. Technical sessions will be held during the afternoon.
- Thursday, September 14, 2017: Technical sessions will be held in the morning and the afternoon. A catered lunch will be provided. The evening will begin with time to relax and socialize on the rooftop terrace of the Pyle Center, overlooking Lake Mendota. Enjoy the lake and beautiful autumn colors with musical entertainment provided by a renowned local band, Nine Thirty Standard. The banquet will be held in the Pyle Center’s Alumni Lounge.
- Friday, September 15, 2017: The morning will be devoted to technical sessions, followed by a catered lunch. Closeout will follow. Tours of FPL available on Friday afternoon. Betty Lou Dinner Cruise in the evening (Extra charge, pre-registration required)
Picture credit: The 20th International Nondestructive Testing and Evaluation of Wood Symposium