It has been a long journey since we started preparing Youth involvement into GCARD2 (the 2nd Global Conference for Agricultural Research for Development). There is still a long way to go : GCARD2 being a huge event and hopefully the starting point of new exciting projects. Here is a small brief on the distance run so far, and the up-coming GCARD2 plans: bringing youth issues and recommendations into GCARD2 and giving a youth perpective on GCARD2, worlwide! Calling for "Youth in ARD"'s voice...YPARD had sent, some time ago, a call for soliciting YPARD members and beyond to express their interest in giving a youth voice at the up-coming GCARD2. We proposed to focus our input on key issues related to youth capacity building. These would be then discussed and fed into GCARD2 plenary sessions. Main concerns identified for discussions were:
- How youth can contribute to create stronger agricultural innovation systems?
- Value and reward systems in AR4D, examining incentives for young people to choose agriculture for their career
- What are the new skills and competencies required in new professionals in agriculture and rural development
- To ask ‘how are we doing’? in assessing progress on youth issues since GCARD1
- To discuss ways to better engage youth in AR4D, focusing on the 3 topics discussed on-line
- To obtain concrete suggestions on how to integrate and attract youth into these areas to feed into the GCARD plenary