Cavendish Farms is a quality producer of frozen potato products for grocery and restaurant. We have four potato production facilities and an appetizer facility in Canada, as well as one potato plant in the U.S. All grocery potato products are made with only premium potatoes. Being located near North America's prime potato growing regions allows Cavendish Farms to use only the best quality of potatoes. Our climate-controlled storage facilities ensure a year-round quality supply of potatoes, and allow us to handle them in a safe and healthy manner.
Cavendish Farms, located at 100 Midland Dr., Dieppe, NB E1A 6X4, is a leading producer of frozen food products for retail and foodservice markets throughout Canada, the United States and around the world. We have two state-of-the-art potato processing plants in PEI and another in Jamestown, ND, and an appetizer plant in Wheatley, ON. Our Head office is in Dieppe, NB and sales office locations are in Toronto, Montreal and Boston.
Seed farm/farm manager
Cavendish Farms is currently seeking an individual for the position of Seed Farm / Farm Manager to be based in Amherst, Nova Scotia.
Reporting to the Director of Farming Operations, the Seed Farm / Farm Manager will provide expertise and oversee the management of successfully growing early generation seed potatoes for French Fry Processing. This includes directing daily activities from Potato Seed Cutting, Planting, Growing, Harvesting and Storing in a manner that clients attain the highest possible yields and profitability from farm operation. The successful candidate will be a self-starter with a strong work ethic, “Can Do” attitude and the ability to adapt to a fast paced, dynamic work environment. A comprehensive extended benefit plan package is offered to all full-time employees.
- Manage the flow of Seed through all generations to ensure correct volume of each to satisfy the processing plant requirements.
- Responsibility for the long term sustainable operation of the farm in all manners including environmental, personnel, and profitability;
- Plant, maintain and harvest the crop;
- Management of financial budgets, cost statements and profitability;
- Develop and manage both seasonal and full time employees;
- Maintain a long term sustainable crop rotation while working closely with area landlords;
- Cultivate positive relationships with our suppliers and customers in the farming community;
- Drive the safety agenda
- Post-secondary education in Agriculture
- Experience growing potatoes (specifically early generation seed)
- Farm Management experience, including managing and preparing budgets and people management experience
- Experience with development of the following: Centre Pivot Irrigation, Land Clearing and conversion, Tile Drainage
- Experience growing potatoes under intensive irrigation
- Full understanding of virus and disease management
- Experience with preparing and managing a farm budget
- Chemical applicators license
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; proven analytical and problem solving skills; and excellent attention to detail/organisational skills with a strong focus on program improvement
- Negotiation and business skills including the ability to market and sell all seed produced
- Willing to work flexible hours a requirement
- Proficiency with Excel, Word, PowerPoint
Find out how to apply here.
Picture credit: Cavendish Farms