Senior Academic Research Scientist - Animal Nutrition

Job description


Easter Bush,

Edinburgh, UK

£36,413 - £48,930 per annum       

Ref: ACF/AHES/063/21

SRUC is unique in Scotland and one of the largest organisations of its kind in Europe.  Our ambitious and exciting vision is to work at local, national and international levels, leading innovation and sustainable development in agriculture and rural sectors.

A new and exciting strategic position is available at SRUC’s Monogastric Science Research Centre for a Senior Academic Research Scientist in Animal Nutrition, to take forward SRUC’s client-facing research portfolio on nutritional sensitivity of animal production, health, disease, environmental footprint and product safety, ranging from the strategically academic to the commercially applied.

A recently opened state-of-the-art Poultry Unit and refurbished Pig Unit just outside Edinburgh form the basis of our strategic and applied research and teaching activities in monogastric nutrition, and facilitate close collaborations with local SRUC staff in the Roslin Institute Building, Easter Bush (where this post will be based), and the wider local, national and international academic and commercial research communities.   

The candidate should have a PhD and at least five years of postdoctoral experience in Poultry and/or Pig Nutrition. Experience of working with industry on applied research is highly desired. The successful candidate will be expected to develop new research programmes building on their own strong track record in appropriate academic and/or commercial grant-winning and peer-reviewed publication. Lecturing experience in (monogastric) animal nutrition is essential, whilst experience in developing nutritional concepts across animal species is highly desired.  

For an informal discussion about the position, please contact Prof Jos Houdijk, Head of SRUC’s Monogastric Science Research Centre at

SRUC offers an attractive salary package based on experience and qualifications.   

For further information and to apply, please visit:

Mor information can be found on the Researchgate website.